Sunday, July 5, 2009

What to be or not to be?

Ahhhh the age old question of what to be when I grow up. Now you would think at 30 with two kids I would have this nailed down by now. However as my Uni transcripts would show I seem to bounce between career choices faster than a ping pong ball at the Chinese Olympics. To help explain, let me introduce myself....

From a distance I'm a very happily married 30 year old mother with 2 amazing little boys. I'm a part time Uni student and an Admin worker. However like a Monet, when you get up close things get a little messier...

There is the old Jodi (that starry eyed aka ditsy young girl I occasionally miss) who has so far wanted to be a Nurse (hyperventilation at the sight of blood nixed that one) a journalist (that nasty sensible voice brow beat that one out of her), a screen writer (are you seeing a pattern here), a movie makeup artist (yeah, when you don't even wear makeup - so that one didn't happen) and just about everything in between.

Now there is current Jodi (I like to think of her as sensible Jodi, well until I do the next stupid thing!) who wants to be a school teacher as it is a nice stable job, where I can still use my imagination and help the community (or that is what she tells me).

And then there is creative Jodi, who has always secretly wanted to write stories, but she has real self esteem issues, due to that bitch sensible Jodi who rolls on the floor laughing every time she brings that up, with taunts of 'doesn't everybody' and how being an 'unimaginative dimwit' may just derail that.

Then there is procrastinating Jodi, who throws up roadblocks in all those options and would much rather hang out with the kids, or read a book, or watch TV, or even (ehghad) clean (shudder) than finish my assignments or get past the 3rd chapter in any of my story ideas.

So I've decided to bite the bullet and put it down in writing, in the hope that I will stick to it and not flit to another idea. This semester I'm going to kick procrastinating Jodi's ass into gear, and finish at least 3 units at Uni. I am going to sign up for the rest of my creative writing course, and smack creative Jodi around a bit and tell her to stand up to sensible Jodi then sit down and write this BLOODY BOOK! Be it good, bad, indifferent or the worst drivel ever to be penned I am going to finish it.

So do you have an idea of the noisy place my head is?? This blog is going to be a place where I can rant and ramble about the various Jodi's, and what a pain in my ass they all are until I finish my degree (hopefully before 2064) and complete my book.

Wish me luck...


No comments:

Post a Comment